Monday, January 26, 2009

2009 Reading List

I thought I would share my reading aspirations for 2009. So here is a list of the books that I have already started reading, or I am hoping to read in 2009. Perhaps you've read some of them or are currently reading them. And maybe you'd like to tell me not to waste my time (of course, I own all of these books, so I am probably going to be reading them anyway). Whatever your thoughts are, please feel free to share any feedback.

Currently Reading:
Pagan Christianity? Frank Viola & George Barna
Prayer, O. Hallesby
Life in the Son, Robert Shank
Surprised by Hope, N.T. Wright
Orthodoxy, G.K. Chesterton
Agape and Eros, Carsten Johnsen
Darwin's Black Box, Michael Behe
The Year of Living Biblically, A.J. Jacobs
Einstein, Walter Isaacson
A Passion for Souls: The Life of Dwight L. Moody, Lyle W. Dorsett
The Ellen G. White 1888 Materials, Ellen G. White

Perhaps you've noticed, like I have, that I am reading a lot of books at one time. And maybe that's why I take a long time to finish them. So maybe I'll just focus on these before I jump on to these next ones. But, the problem is, when one looks so interesting, it's hard for me not to start into it.

Plan to Read:
Everything Must Change, Brian McLaren
The Universe Next Door, James Sire
Why I Am Not a Christian, Bertrand Russell
The Cost of Discipleship, Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Understanding Intelligent Design, William A. Dembski & Sean McDowell
Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery, Eric Metaxas
Jesus Among Other Gods, Ravi Zacharias
The Origin of Species, Charles Darwin
The Apocalyptic Vision and the Neutering of Adventism, George Knight
Seeking a Sanctuary, Malcolm Bull & Keith Lockhart
Here We Stand, Samuel Koranteng-Pipim, ed.
Into the Wild, Jon Krakauer
The Zookeeper's Wife, Diane Ackerman
John Adams, David McCullough
The Reason for God, Timothy Keller
I Sold My Soul on eBay, Hemant Mehta

5 comments:

holamickey said...

Shawn thanks for sharing the list - I will check out a few of them... and a few I have checked out and am glad they are on your list.
Looks like a good trip to Florida - with Cauley Jr. (good guy), and of course Dr. Clouzet.

Have fun - hopefully we will see you next week for a minute or two.

girlwithmoxy said...

Just reading your list, and knowing or have read many of them, I have to say you are a very interesting and amazing person. That's quite a variety on so many spectrums, and I would LOVE if my pastor had a reading list like that! Looking forward to hearing your posts and how the books are shaping you.

Shawn Brace said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Greenchickadee. I don't know if I'm "awesome," but I just try to stay well-rounded and well-read. I fail at both, I know.

Micheal: let me know about Tuesday as soon as you know. Would love to see you. Blessings in NYC this weekend, brother.

MG said...

i'm amazed by how closely your reading list matches ours (and our conversational habits).
shocked, actually.
i know i already said i'd be keeping my eye on your blog, but now i'm hooked.

Shawn Brace said...

Thanks for following along, New England Pastor's wife! I'm feeling a lot of pressure now to keep my posts interesting!!!

I hope your ministry continues to flourish. Where are you located, anyway?