Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Wishing I Could Write in the Prophetic Perfect

Oh, how I wish I could write in the prophetic perfect and say that this mountain has been conquered. But three amigos and I will be attempting to climb Mt. Katahdin - Maine's highest peak and the northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail - on Thursday and Friday. It stands at 5,268 feet and we are planning to hike Knife Edge - one of the most thrilling and daunting trails in the northeastern United States. I have never climbed Katahdin and, in fact, it will definitely be the greatest summit I have ever tried, but I am really, really, looking forward to it!

But I petition your prayers. And enjoy a few images from Google Earth of this beautiful mountain (the first is the perspective from Chimney Pond, where we will be camping Thursday night, the second from Knife Edge - a trail that, at times, shrinks to three feet wide with a drop-off on each side of the trail).

No comments: